Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Root Beer BBQ Chicken



I tried this recipe with my kids and they couldn't stop eating it!! I had to buy smaller packages of chicken legs then I usually do and I was a little concerned about not having enough. I was right to be concerned! I had to stop them from eating more and more, seriously they would have had 4 or 5 if I would have let them... I can't blame them though, the crispiest of the skin from being seared on the grill and the sauce was fabulous!! My boys took a couple pieces with them to cub scout camp the next day and enjoyed them just as much! Just make sure that you have enough gas for your grill... Not so much fun to find out that you are out when you are in the middle of searing! No worries though - I just heated the oven up to 450 and finished cooking that way. It was a late supper, but the kids didn't seem to mind.


Root Beer BBQ Chicken
(recipe found in Family Fun)

BBQ Sauce
1 cup root beer
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke

Chicken
3 pounds bone in, skin on chicken pieces (I used chicken legs)
1 teaspoon steak seasoning

To make the sauce: combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil of medium heat, then lower the heat and simmer the sauce until it thickens and reduces by about a quarter, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool. Place chicken on a sheet pan and rub with steak seasoning. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Prepare your grill so that the heat is concentrated on one side (direct heat). Sear the chicken over the direct heat, covered, turning it once or twice, for about 8 minutes. Move the chicken to the cooler side and cook it, covered, turning it once or twice, until almost cooked through, about 12 minutes. Baste the chicken with the sauce, close the lid, and cook for about 3 minutes. Repeat two or three times, until the sauce is thick and browned and the chicken is done, for 8-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment