Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

When I decided that muffins were my part in the birthday brunch, I knew that I had to try a lemon poppy seed recipe... I LOVE lemon poppy seed muffins. I am not a huge lemon fan, but for some reason the combination of the lemony taste with the crunch of the poppyseed just does it for me! Call me crazy, but I love those gas station lemon poppyseed muffins, you know the ones... soft, delicious, stick to your fingers and SO NOT HEALTHY!! This were a pretty good substitute and had all the same qualities, but not quite as processed! :)



Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
(recipe found at www.foodnetwork.com)

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a standard 12 muffin pan or a jumbo 6 well muffin pan. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and lemon juice.

Make a well in center of the flour mixture and pour the buttermilk mixture into the well. Add the melted butter and use a rubber spatula to blend with quick strokes, being careful not to overmix the batter; it should still be slightly lumpy. Gently stir in the poppy seeds and lemon zest. Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling each well 3/4 full. Bake until slightly puffed and golden, 20-22 minutes. Lightly sprinkle sugar over the tops fo the muffins, if desired. Remove the muffins fromthe pan and cool slightly on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment