Monday, February 7, 2011

Caramel Peanut Butter Bars

These looked so delicious I just had to have an excuse to make them (and try not to eat the whole pan on my own!) I found the perfect reason and made them for my sister-in-law's birthday! Truly, it was a good thing that I took them somewhere, because I could have easily eaten the whole stinkin pan!! Chocolatey and peanutty were just what I was needing and they filled that craving completely!! I dare you to try and eat just one...



Caramel Peanut Butter Bars
(recipe found at www.bettycrocker.com)

Cookie Base:
1 pouch (1 pound 1.5 ounces) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
15 mini chocolate covered peanut butter cup candies, coarsely chopped

Filling:
36 caramels, unwrapped
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used chunky since that is all that I had)
1/2 cup peanuts

Topping:
1 container (1 pound) milk chocolate frosting
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped

Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom and sides of 9x13 pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in candies. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Meanwhile, in 2 quart saucepan, eat caramels and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted. Stir in peanut butter. Heat to boiling. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup peanuts. Spread over warm cookie base. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Spread frosting evenly over filling. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.

1 comment: